If you reside within Raleigh, you can consult the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) relevant to your zoning code.

For those outside Raleigh or North Carolina, simply search “[your city] zoning ordinance” and “[your city] zoning map” to locate specific information for your area.

Relevant details such as your zoning district (“R-4”, “R-10”, etc), lot topography, nearby structures, and potential encroachments such as easements on your property—all of which can influence the location and size of your ADU—are typically included in your official lot survey. Pairing this information with your city’s zoning ordinance allows you to identify applicable development regulations based on your zoning district.

If this sounds too confusing, you can have your GC complete this task or you can hire us to do a remote site consultation.